Monday, August 8, 2011

Crazy Heart

Crazy Heart is about a washed up country musician that is an alcoholic, and is traveling around the southwest doing small gigs.

Jeff Bridges, who before seeing him in True Grit earlier this year I didn't know who he was. But have come to really enjoy his acting. He plays a very good drunk western style character. I thought he did a good job. While staying in Santa Fe he meets a young reporter girl, who seems to change everything for him. The girl is played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, who we know from the Dark Knight.

She does a good job, I just did not like the way the relationship between Gyllenhaal and Bridges was developed. He met her one day half drunk and next scene they are in love, and she comes across a little desperate, and maybe the type of person that keeps making bad decisions when it comes to relationships, which turns out to be somewhat true. Plus Jeff Bridges is playing a 57 year old guy, and she is noticably younger, kind of weird.But I just felt like the story was not developed very well, and you just had to assume there was more that wasn't shown, which I don't really like that.

 Now I am not really one for country music, or so I thought. The music in the movie is more of a country western style, and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't this catchy pop country that kind of turns me off. Now when I saw that Colin Farrell was in it, I am a little excited, but not because I think he is a great actor. We all have a movie that comes to mind when you think of an actor, and for Colin Farrell I think of American Outlaws, and I really like that movie, but he sure comes across as a cheesy actor. I put him in the same category as Nicholas Cage, bad actor entertaining movies.

The actor that really made the movie for me was Robert Duvall. I think he is one of those old school actors that knows how to really get into character. He did a great job, although it was a small part. I feel like everyone in the movie comes out a winner, but it was a little slow and anticlimactic. So I was a bit disappointed, by the story telling aspect of the movie. The aspect of a man changing his life for a girl, and trying do become better is good, just could have been told a little more detailed.

1 comment:

  1. you wanna see jeff bridges at his finest watch The Big Lebowski

    ReplyDelete